Friday 1 October 2010

Reflective Practice and Professional Development

So i've just started back on my PGCE at WSC under UCS and the first module we are working on is all based on reflective practice and how it can inform your professional development. So far we have looked at what is reflective practice, we've even started to look at a few different models of relective practice such as mirrored refelction, stories of reflection and critical incidents. We've even begun discussing the works of leading theorists; Kolb, Brookfield and Gibbs to name but a few, then we were hit with it.

Your homework for the next session is to bring in pictures cut from magazines that could be used to reflectively describe who you are as a tutor right now today. Now one, i don't buy magazines (why would I, I go online if i want to read about something); two, the few magazines lying around the kitchen at work contain images solely of celebrities and thirdly, reflect on what?

So i thought i would pose the question to you guys. Can you think of any critical incidents that occured in your past that on reflection led you to be a tutor? Or is there a critical incident that has formed you as the particular type of tutor that you are today?

Consider a critical incident to potentially be an everyday, possibly even mundane event that at the time went ignored but on reflection had a profound effect on you or your learners.

Let me know your thoughts and i will post back after Tuesday to let you know how i got on!

1 comment:

  1. I remember being at college at the same time as my Mum, I was studying A-levels and she was doing an access course which included GCSE Maths.
    We had the same tutor and I popped in one day to drop something off for Mum and the tutor asked if I had time to stay and help some of the students. These students like my Mum were of the Mature kind and I was a little apprehensive of talking to them about anything let alone Maths, but after a few minutes and with the tutor gone and a more relaxed atmosphere I found myself being able to speak at ease about the Maths and remember most particulaly one discussion I had with a chap about why e to the power zero was always one. I'm not sure when I decided to train as a teacher but looking back at my time at University I always recalled that event so I suppose it must have been a Critical Incident!

    Good luck with your PGCE

    ReplyDelete